Is Vivaldi the best sweet spot browser?

If you think about it, Vivaldi is a near-perfect browser that doesn't really miss anything, does it?

[Disagree?](https://preview.redd.it/6c9hz6a6nk791.png?width=612&format=png&auto=webp&s=11397453894d2c253e1e5ad5dbec875516f81950)

Before I start listing why I think Vivaldi is the sweet spot of browsers, I want to make it clear that there is no perfect browser these days. And everyone has different preferences, so you can't say that Browser X is the best choice for everyone.

However, in my opinion, Vivaldi's advantages outweigh its shortcomings.

Privacy: Vivaldi is not totally privacy-focused, but it is privacy-friendly. Vivaldi is based in Norway and therefore the European data protection laws apply, which are very strict.

Speed: In terms of pure speed, there are browsers that are snappier, but if you keep the numerous features in mind, the browser actually performs solidly.

Resource consumption: In terms of CPU usage, Vivaldi is very discreetly on par with Google Chrome, despite all the settings and modification options. In terms of RAM usage, however, Vivaldi has made a big splash. The Vivaldi team has managed to optimize the browser's RAM usage to such an extent that it outplays all other browsers. [Source (click on me)](https://www.neowin.net/news/comparing-popular-browsers-to-find-the-best-choice-for-windows/)

Personalization & Customization: Hands down, Vivaldi easily takes the cake: [https://vivaldi.com/de/features/customization/](https://vivaldi.com/de/features/customization/)

Features: Vivaldi is by far the browser that offers the most features. Not of the same opinion? Then I'll list a few: Note management, reading list, tab stacking, tab hibernating, built-in translator, web panel, mouse gestures, tab groups, show tabs in split screen, ad blocker, built-in email client - just to name a few.

Support: The [Vivaldi forum](https://forum.vivaldi.net) is great because you can ask anything. Unlike Firefox, the developers also listen to the users and the community itself is very friendly. What more could you ask for?

Politics: The Vivaldi browser never really expresses itself politically. Except for few opinions that they will never do anything with [crypto](https://vivaldi.com/blog/why-vivaldi-will-never-create-thinkcoin/), which are also supported with facts, they are not really politically active or share any real political opinion.

(In)dependence: Vivaldi's [business model](https://vivaldi.com/blog/vivaldi-business-model/) stands out from the competition. In addition, Vivaldi has now signed a contract with some car manufacturers, which again strengthens Vivaldi's financial performance.

But not everything is rosy, as Vivaldi is based on Chromium. This means that one is dependent on Google, what it does with Chromium. And since the Vivaldi team is very small, unfortunately they can't fork Chromium.

And if you ask me, as a secondary browser I use Mozilla Firefox. Once to support at least some Firefox, because the browser itself has some great features: multi-container, fast and secure synchronization, sharp images and original color fidelity, full-featured uBlock. And you support an alternative to Google's Chromium and the Blink engine.

What are your opinions, let's discuss!

27 thoughts on “Is Vivaldi the best sweet spot browser?”

1. I like vivaldi as much as the next guy but I wouldn’t try to claim it uses less RAM than other chromium browsers, it has all the same chromium processes running but it also has an extra process for the UI that you can see in the browser’s task manager

2. I’m using Vivaldi on mobile right now. I’m taking a break from Firefox. Somewhere is an article that shows its energy consumption is right there with the bare bones mobile browsers which is impressive. This means you can browse on your phone more. I remember the article showed you gained over an hour of browsing time.

Most of the time it’s as fast as Brave on my OnePlus 10 Pro. It certainly handles bookmarks well as I can get there super quick from the bottom toolbar. Really I think the toolbar is its best selling point. That and Speed Dial really makes it the most useful for casual browsing in my opinion.

Pop up blocking isn’t going to rival mobile Firefox with Ublock though.

3. > And if you ask me, as a secondary browser I use Mozilla Firefox. Once to support at least some Firefox, because the browser itself has some great features: multi-container, fast and secure synchronization, sharp images and original color fidelity, full-featured uBlock. And you support an alternative to Google’s Chromium and the Blink engine.

You forgot about the superior audio engine as well. It’s rarely noticeable, but audio sounds really weird in Chromium based browsers when playback of music isn’t at x1.0 speed.
    As an example, on Twitch, when streams are trying to catch up it’ll set the playback speed at x1.02 or so for a while, and while it’s horrible to listen to on Chromium it sounds just fine in Firefox.

Anyway, I’m a Vivaldi user as well, love it to bits. I just wish it didn’t support the Google’s grip on webstandards.

Bonus speed selector bookmarklet (you can set the default speed, which I like at x1.18) for testing out FF audio engine vs Chromium:

javascript: var speed = prompt(“Please enter speed”, “1.18”); document.querySelector(‘video’).playbackRate = speed,void(0);

4. chromium issues (poor text rendering, poor extensions API) and unfinished features (toolbar config, middle click on tab bar to open a new tab, rockers config, RSS reader) make it less capable than Quantum, though Quantum often breaks things so nowadays it’s probably safest to go with Quantum ESR or Waterfox

5. I’m giving a try to Vivaldi, so far I have noticed just 1 anoyance, the time it takes to start up, or to star up a new window. This happens in every machine I have… Low end and mid end. Where others are instant to start.. Beside this seems OK…

6. It does miss one very important thing for me, which is aesthetical UI. Look at beautifully colored groups in Edge, and then look at stacks in Vivaldi – you can’t easily tell them from normal tabs, and the way you expand them is subpar too – there is small arrow in Vivaldi, opposed to just clicking group name in Edge. You also can’t pin tab stack in Vivaldi, while in Edge you can. It is a good browser, but it is far from perfect.

7. well said, and I totally agree. Things you might add:

\- Privacy: it’s not just the location of Norway / Iceland and the privacy laws that come into play, I think the mindset also plays a huge role – and there is no controversy about whether or not they act as they say. The allowed criticism is that in the default setting, they do not lock everything down to the most privacy friendly setup because that would break things for too many “normal” users – but they make it easy to turn off enabled Google services etc.
    They do an effort to be very transparent about what they do and why, and respond to criticism in a level-headed way

[https://vivaldi.com/blog/decoding-network-activity-in-vivaldi/](https://vivaldi.com/blog/decoding-network-activity-in-vivaldi/)

[https://vivaldi.com/blog/how-we-count-our-users/](https://vivaldi.com/blog/how-we-count-our-users/)

\- Independence: Vivaldi is financed through partner deals (default searches and default bookmarks). No outside investors that may pressure the devs to start coming up with fancy schemes that are essentially milking the users for their data or delivering personalized ads on the start page and stuff to increase the revenue per user and thus make money for the investors. It comes with the default bookmarks and searches, and if you delete those that’s it.

\- Open source (not quite). This is a big misunderstanding in the Firefox community. Vivaldi is not open source (true) per their license. You are not allowed to fork it, you can’t contribute code as a non-employee. But they are open source in terms of credibility:The code is written in plain HTML + CSS + Javascript and available for audit:

8. I really like OperaGX, prefer it to Vivaldi and Brave, both them had niggles that irritated me. I know its labelled a “gaming browser” but you dont have to turn any of that extra shit on and it’s a rock solid chromium browser. Would recommend people at least give it a go, you can bring along all your favourite extensions.

Been using it solidly for the last 8 months or so without any complaints about it.

9. I think they’ve done a pretty good job of trying to be a modern opera.

Vivaldi’s engineers are the only people I’m aware of that managed to shove a whole mail client on top of chromium. There might be some electron based ones, but the last time I checked it seemed like they were either wrappers for web clients, or dependent on an external service and not capable of doing imap/smtp by themselves.

Plus the whole “HTML/Javascript UI” thing seems like something mozilla does, but they have a take that attracts more power users.

10. Vivaldi’s features are great, on paper.
    Most of them are immature and instabil. Only a few of them – like tab split screen – can not be replicated with extensions.

It’s a good idea but not good enough to be my first choice.

11. Yet another chromium browser.

Even if it were the very best browser, I’d still use Firefox because I don’t want Chromium to be the ONLY way to use the web.

12. I switched to Vivaldi because Google/Microsoft decided people don’t need Compact View. Well, I do and I’m happy using Vivaldi as my default browser.

13. No, it is not. I’m not saying it’s a bad browser, but Edge comes with Windows, and it’s great. It’s hard to find a reason for installing something else.

14. As a MacOS/iOS user I could say that Vivaldi is a sore spot: it does not exist for iOS and the MacOS performs poorly (tried it out of curisoity, being useless without a mobile version) as for the rest, as you say, it is a personal choice, the way I see it people dreaming of privacy will choose FF/Brave, people looking for features will choose Opera/Vivaldi/Edge.

15. I dunno. I used to be into browsers years ago but ultimately I caved and just use Chrome now. I’m too old to waste time making things work anymore.

I used to like Pale Moon a lot but I hear it’s total garbage now because the furry boss went bananas. Who could’ve seen that coming? A furry going insane? Unheard of.

16. I used Vivaldi before and switched to Opera then Opera GX, seems like the features are way nicer and it’s way more Stable browser overall.

I know Opera sells/gives away user data to the Chinese Government, but idgaf.

On a Phone I use DuckDuckGo Browser.

17. Its my favorite browser and I’ve been maining it for about a year now. I dont have any complaints about its speed. Feels pretty snappy on my machine. Only complaint is the lack of a tree tab style view, but this can be fixed with extensions. But I dont think any browser has native tree tab support right now.

18. It depends. I use Vivaldi only as a browser. Is Vivaldi overall better than Chrome? I don’t think so. I would prefer to use Chrome, honestly, \*if\* it had proper vertical tabs with grouping, and probably had similar level of customization. Until then, Vivaldi is my main browser, and I try to support the team and I keep my fingers crossed that it won’t die soon.