22 thoughts on “So this just happened at my Company. No more Rails.”

1. Why find only ruby developers? Just hire good developers? Surely that’s less expensive than having to support all sorts of runtimes. Ruby/Rails is not really going away so I wouldn’t be too concerned. Rails is more or less the boring startup tech stack at this point.

2. That’s absolutely, 100% not the reason.

Revision: It’s incredibly hard to find any Ruby developers *that meet their specifications.*

There’s multiple posts here (and on /r/ruby) looking for employment, discussing pay rates, and similar topics every single week. And that’s just people that post here, a small fragment of the entire industry.

With changes in mindsets from the last few years of shutdowns, lockdowns, closures, and WFH, *everyone* – not just developers – have a different set of values and requirements in 2022 than they did this time in, say, 2019.

JS has also taken over in popularity. That’s a good thing for the web as a whole, but it puts a lot of people in the “I’d rather work with React” (for example) pool. The problem is that is, by comparison, a hotter area of expertise, but significantly less established. The candidate pool is bigger, but the *quality* is, overall, just lower. Rails is a mature language, and new stuff that comes out is just refinements – it’s not sexy. It doesn’t draw in a 20 year old looking to start a career out of development.

And it shows. Just like the the questions about employment and such I mentioned above, there’s also questions in /r/rails every week about “Is it worth learning Rails in 2022?,” and they’re usually phrased with “I know . It works well, but I’m curious about Rails, but it seems outdated.” You get the same stuff in PHP or Python subs as well.

I dunno your company, what they do, where they are, any of that. But established and experienced developers aren’t going to work for poor compensation, poor benefits, or mediocre flexibility. They can’t find a good developer that lives in `a` that wants to work at `b` for `c` hours a day on `d` days that wants `e` a year with `f` benefits? Their candidate search structure is broken, they’re looking for cheaper labor, and they don’t want to adapt to other structures – WFH, different hours a week or flexibility in *when* to work, certain benefits, hourly pay vs. salary, contract vs. employed, etc.

There’s plenty of Ruby and Rails developers out there. They’re not wanting to entertain that for other reasons, not because there aren’t Rails devs available.

3. My company has been hiring mid- and later-stage Rails developers a lot lately. It’s been tough, no doubt, but we greatly expanded the engineering team. People are there. The work is there. Your company is just being cheap, not gonna lie.

4. Are you in European timezones? We are hiring at Phrase.

As for your company, you have likely broken hiring process, not paying market salaries, are not opened to hire remotely, or don’t know how to train and onboard good developers from other stacks. Likely all of those together.

5. I had the same thing happen at a previous job. The official position was “use whatever is best suited”, but the final straw was when I was building a very basic CRUD service to publish some Kafka messages. My RFC reviewers were shitty and told me “no more Rails and everything had to be Go”.

I came from a design background and had no CS degree and found Go hard to pick up, as the company provided little to no training.

By the time I gained confidence, I realised I didn’t really like doing only backend and preferred full stack, so I quit, took some time off and learnt some Node, FE JS and Elixir.

Now I’m the founding engineer at a startup in a sector that I’m personally interested in so it all worked out.

6. Sorry OP, that sucks :/

As for the question, I’d say it depends. I would consider going along with the change in tech *if* I loved everything else about the job – pay, culture, etc. Technology shifts all the time but a good job is worth a lot.

7. Two things.

1. Depending on the process in your company, this decision might be made in your CTO head and the reasons are just “arguing from conclusion”.

2. If you get to learn new language on the job, with real time experience to boot – take the opportunity unless something in go offends you to the point it makes you unhappy. Worst case scenario: you’ll have good arguments at your next job when someone considers moving from rails to go. Best case: you like it, learn it very well and get to choose between go and rails opportunities in the future.

Edit: autocorrect fixes.

8. I’ve seen a company moving to Java for the exact same reasons.

When I looked at it, the company had over 60 rails devs, chronic technical debt and high churn. All it took is one Java consultant promising the holy grail and blaming Rails monoliths. That all seemed like the mythical man month and addressing symptoms over root causes.

Rails has proven over time that it makes small teams really efficient as long as you keep it boring, which funny enough, seems to be a hard thing to do in software.

I feel companies hiring issues are more about growing complexity from technical debt than anything else. Keeping it boring means less devs which means saving money.

I’m not assuming OP’s situation is the same but still wanted to share an experience I had.

9. I think you probably feel that you have no need to learn anything else cuz you enjoy RoR, in a way you’re right (it’s your own personal decision) , however I believe that there’s a lot of knowledge, a lot of fun stuff to learn and do outside of the RoR scope too.In parallel to having fun with non-RoR stuff I believe that there’s a lot of knowledge on software architecture, design patterns, cloud dev that you could find interesting and useful for your career and it’s not necessarily RoR stuff, so you could grow a lot learning something new.
    On top of that, from now on, you would become particularly important to your company, you know the old way of doing business, and the new one.
    Hope you find the right answer, and I would finally say that great software is made by great people, not by the tools/languages they use.
    Good luck!

10. I doubt this is the general sentiment of the overall market. I think it’s the other way around. Being that Go is a lot newer, it’s incredibly harder to find Go devs.

11. It’s hard to find Rails devs? I run a reverse job board for Rails developers and I’m seeing a handful of folks sign up every day. Just about to break 500 Rails devs looking for work.

I wish we had connected sooner!

12. im a hiring manager and we have a 50/50 rails node architecture. we dont hire rails or js devs

we hire devs that know how to program/architect , dont care if they are c#, python, java etc…

any company that demands a language thats not extremely specific is doomed if u ask me. shows they dont know what’s important.

13. Hiring a Jr Rails dev is always an option. I am in the market as a Jr Rails dev and the majority of posted positions for Rails are Mid to Sr. It has been a struggle to find positions I can apply for.

To your question if you want to stay and grow at that company yes, if not, look for a new position. It seems you have Rails experience and there are plenty of postings for Mid to Sr.

14. learning something new is hard. doing what you know is easy. either choice is valid, I prefer doing what I know (with a little bit of learning).

If you want to stay with Rails, you might not have a future with your current company, but you can find work elsewhere.

15. if you’re a happy ruby developer and have to pick one of go or node to learn next, i would definitely select node, ideally with typescript rather than javascript. it’s simply a more expressive language than go.

16. Our company made the same decision, for the same official reason. We are moving to Python now. The real reason is boss’s friend told him Python is super hot right now. Yes they were talking about AI, not the web. But the trend of spitting “Rails is outdated” being cool is growing.

Which is really sad because we all know Rails is not dying.

I have a suspicion it has to do with Google search and social media created information bubble. If the algorithm thinks you are not a rails developer from past search data, then the algorithm will feed you the information that says Rails is dying – just because it’s trending.