11 thoughts on “l started learning React…”

1. Ha! I can’t comment on the React community, but the Flask community is much friendlier and more supportive than the other technology communities I’ve dealt with.

2. I’m also learning React. They say FastAPI + React is fantastic combo. It took like an hour to set up the FastAPI and only 10 hours to solve the CORS problem alone in React.

Seriously, I hate my life. I read someone’s post “just set proxy in package.json”. Well, that only worked for POST requests. Then there was a post “just enable it in browser” and nobody showed how’s that done. And then I found one saying “just enable it on server-side”. Took me extra 3 hours of testing all the combinations and creating this f*ing backend while I already have the FastAPI there. I’m not sure if I did it right but I’m not touching that.

If I knew the rabbit hole, would have just stuck with Flask+Jinja. I thought learning React would have been easier considering the popularity. I have completely vanilla setup and no one could show how to call FastAPI, or any other external API, from React.

3. Dude how are you so wrong about this! Don’t you know that React merged SuperFriendly.is into the main repo in version 2.4.5.1.aphis !!! If you want to use the framework you really should just read the docs first. This is really basic friendly behavior!

Jk: for some reason people think you need to be miserable and come out of learning the tooling by being bloodied and bartered. Plus it makes major changes making googling problems a real pain. Keep at it though you will get it.

4. You can always come back here for a hug.

I’m using Alpine JS and HTMX and they are so new there barely is a community. Considering React but now I’m scared. Maybe when you’ve been there for a while you can hold my hand and I will feel reassured.

Seriously though. A good community is a big deal. There are always bad eggs but once a culture goes bad, it’s hard to rescue it. Good luck with your endeavours friend, I’m sure you’ll persevere.

5. in my opinion just learn svelte, but if you are doing this for a job you wanna get, well … I hope you good luck and stay safe

6. I learnt react but I hate JavaScript. The only reason was that when I work with blockchain, React or JavaScript is needed for minting NFT’s – I don’t think there is any flask support for this? If there is I would love to know.