82 thoughts on “PSA: Solution for Firefox not working right now.”

1. ~~Simply starting firefox with no internet connection resolved it for me and others. If I had to guess this solution works because it temporarily severs firefox’s internet connection, and thus the checking for update ends~~

Appears to be a temporary fix, not permanent

2. Stickied your post for visibility.
    Edit: It’s been fixed already.
    > Firefox has witnessed outages and we are sorry for that. We believe it’s fixed and a restart of Firefox should restore normal behaviour. We will provide more information shortly.

Also, disabling telemetry doesn’t fix this issue anymore, the telemetry servers weren’t the root cause and have been adjusted already.

> Our current suspicion is that Google Cloud Load Balancer (or a similar CloudFlare service) that fronts one of our own servers got an update that triggers an existing HTTP3 bug. Telemetry was first implicated because it’s one of the first services a normal Firefox configuration will connect first, but presumably the bug will trigger with any other connection to such a server. Our current plan is to disable HTTP3 to mitigate until we can locate the exact bug in the networking stack.

3. *Wild* that firefox could actually just ‘break’ like that. xD Just spent half an hour trying to fix it. I hope this gets fixed quick.

4. Restarting my laptop helped too. DIdn’t have to make any changes in about:config. Worked on both personal and work laptop.

Edit: Seems not to work according to replies below.

5. I might be lucky one, as I just did `killall -9 firefox-bin` and started firefox again and it just works as it should be (this was little over 10mins ago).

EDIT: aaand after 15minutes I have same issue again. Disabling http3 for now.

6. Imagine the amount of people getting angry and calling their isp over an issue caused by Firefox. Idk how it can affect not only the internet, but the pc itself. My fans are running at almost max with it open.

7. Someone on twitter said even the auto-updater might be bugged preventing Firefox from patching the issue automatically. This might be a really bad day if they can’t find a workaround to that…

8. I was just about to come back and comment what an absolute lifesaver that comment was. I was on the verge of a panic attack and I’m not good with computers so I had no idea how to troubleshoot this myself. I had already installed an older version of Firefox to see if that worked, which it did, but I didn’t want to go around with an outdated browser.

Thank god I thought of you guys and checked! I thought it was just a MacOS Monterey issues so I thought I would never get help this late at night.

9. Main reason is not HTTP3 but telemetry. Apparently without sending their precious precious telemetry data Firefox does not work. Mozilla’s level of incompetence is unbelievable.

10. Thanks goodness for Reddit. I’m currently in my exam season right now, thanksfully this bug didn’t happen mid -exam otherwise I’m gonna be so panic.

11. For me after doing this firefox is working much faster in general, at least compared to last couple of days. What exactly does this setting do? Seems like the best option is to leave it like this even after problem is resolved.

12. Worked for me too, but can someone explain what excatly gets turned off with this change? Do I need to turn it back on when they fix the underlying issue?

13. Simply restarting does not work for me, I had to manually kill firefox as it kept running at a 100% CPU after closing. Then it works!

I’m on Manjaro linux if that’s relevant.

14. According to BMO, Mozilla employees are aware of the situation and working on it.

A few bugs are already reported by various users and Mozilla’s own QA staff. There is no need to report any more for the time being.

15. And here I was about to make a post asking why Firefox keeps spiking my CPU temps and won’t load anything. A relief it isn’t just me

16. This is really bad. How will non technical users be able to recover from a problem like this? Or could Mozilla somehow fix this at their update server?

17. Much obliged, jbaiter!

Been pulling my hair for the past hour or so. Every other browser was working fine.

Mozilla’s really slippin these days. I am just too lazy to convert yet. Another one of these and i may finally jump ship too. I was already incredibly pissed off with the layout redesign you pushed on us a few months ago. That too needed workarounds from community members. Now this shit? What’s next? It down right crashes your system?! Wouldn’t surprise me.

18. Thanks! I was skeptical at first but I eventually got hit with this about 45 minutes after I initially heard of this while streaming on Jellyfin. So weird.

19. Interesting I dont have this problem, this sounds like you all going through some kind of tunnel/proxy. Why would disabling http3 make all websites work again when only about 1% of the internet is even using http3?

20. Thank you for saving me hours of agony trying to figure out what in the god damned hell just happened.

How in the hell did Mozilla just let this bug slip past

21. I had to manually kill Firefox in task manager after changing the value. Completely ridiculous, how on earth can a browser simply glitch itself out like this?

22. Disabling Data Collection worked for me, thank you very much

It’s unbelievable how i dread updating firefox now, from eliminating the possibility of having tabs on bottom to even killing your own program over data collection

23. The amount of data and time off my life I lost trying to troubleshoot this is absolutely ludicrous. Too bad I can’t get compensation.

24. You’re a godsend, man. I was two clicks away from uninstalling and re-installing to see if that fixed the issue. I was browsing Twitter earlier and suddenly I couldn’t load tweets any more, images failed to load, and so on. I flushed my DNS, I changed proxy settings, reset my router, restarted my PC, everything I could think of. Chrome was running fine, but it was just Firefox that was screwing up for some reason and couldn’t load **any** page at all.

Finally, at the end of my rope, I ran a quick search here to see if anyone has had problems with Firefox recently and found this post. Thanks a lot of sharing (you as well, jbaiter!) and the rest of you guys confirming it wasn’t just on my end, lol.

25. I just disabled http3, not had the outage as I disabled telemetry but the thing is only in draft status, no idea why its turned on by default in a production build of a web browser.

26. Completely unacceptable. The fact that it’s data collection that’s borked and causes this does not paint a pretty picture.

27. Jeeeeezaz firefox, i’ve been trying to find the reason behind this culprit! i’ve already reset my browser twice, tweaked extensions and stuff. thanks u/jbaiter and u/Schmile13, you guys saved me from lots of frustration!

28. Seems like it might be fixed. I turned off data collection to see if that might help since I’ve seen this issue with other browsers only like once, and that did it until a fix was issued. Either their server team did something and got rid of the bug, or turning off data collection did it, so either way that’s good.

29. Why is the solution to disable http3 and not to disable data collection? Fundamentally, it is the data collection that makes firefox crash before even trying to load the website you’re going to.

30. Ugh, I just spent the last hour troubleshooting things, trying to figure out why FF wasn’t working. I had no idea a browser could go down like this until now. I’m glad I came here because who knows what I would’ve kept trying lol

31. I fixed the issue by switching to Chrome. I’m done with their bullshit.

Not the first time an update breaks my shit.

EDIT: I switched back to Firefox on account of Chrome sucks shit! 😀

Did you know every time you save a picture in Chrome a “download bar” pops up that you have to manually close? and theres no way to disable it.

32. Rumor has it it’s a more wide-scale issue, perhaps with Cloudflare. Possibly Cloudflare rolled out HTTP3 server updates and that breaks Firefox. In that case, it’s pretty irresponsible from Cloudflare, they have to make sure their server implementation is compatible with all popular clients!

Edit: and before you say that it works on some CloudFlare backed page with HTTP3… it’s quite possible that CloudFlare is already in the process of rolling back the update that broke Firefox.

33. It’s great to see how so many people are jumping to hate on Mozilla without even waiting to find out what the issue actually was.

34. Imagine all the people resetting their routers, calling their ISPs, etc. I myself actually called my ISP and the call went through (which shouldn’t happen because my phone is connected to my modem and internet service). Then I decided to open up Microsoft Edge and I realized that everything was working fine. It never once entered my head that Firefox was the issue until the end.

35. I mean sorry Mozilla, but it is not 2005 anymore. You can’t just break your freaking browser globally by incompetence just like that and expect us to not be happy. The single purpose of a browser is to browse and you managed to destroy it in a flamboyant fashion.

How is it acceptable to break the main functionality of your product by test/beta features like HTTP3 ???

Now my bigger pain is that I will waste more time logging back into a gazillion systems with 2FA after wiping my cache and profile to hard reset, before the solution was found.

Thank you, but no thank you.

36. I think during problems like these Firefox should send an immediate notification to users. Dozens of thousands of people must have deleted their profiles or switched browsers in panic. And every CPU use PWM fans these days which definitely caused even more terror.

37. If you’re like me and close the browser roughly once a week, I’d like to suggest flipping the http3 setting back to true immediately. Y’know, so you don’t have to worry about forgetting. It won’t bother you until you restart the browser anyway.

38. From Bugzilla:

“Firefox has witnessed outages and we are sorry for that. We believe it’s fixed and a restart of Firefox should restore normal behaviour. We will provide more information shortly”

39. Just imagine the number of calls IT helpdesks are receiving as we speak.

What is the most likely cause you would think of ?

\> Network OK

\> Other browsers OK

\>Clean and up-to-date installations of Firefox OK

\>No add-ons OK

\>Same behavior on multiple computers…

\>>> Malware is the most logic explanation…..until today….. the day we all learn that the main functionality of a browser can be killed because some workflow linked to some external component configuration (=the fact http3 is enabled) is able to actually trigger a functionality that was not tested but implemented into production software and makes the software 100% unusable.

I can tell that, as an IT manager, I will seriously reconsider the usage of Firefox within our organization. Just imagine the amount of time and money lost around the world due to the incompetence behind this fail.

That’s unacceptable from a worldwide scale company like Mozilla.

Why enabling http3 if not thoroughly tested, why not adding some automatic fallback in the code in case of exceptions ?

Crazy.

Best proof of what happens nowadays with all this wild “container-like” update strategies. Always said that was bullshit. Maybe it work inside software organization using strict development methodologies but clearly has flaws when used by people who are working in a less structured way.

WTF Mozilla ?

40. This is ridiculous. I stopped using Firefox *years* ago because of this exact same shit. It shouldn’t be possible to completely brick a browser, yet Mozilla does it annually.

41. Oooof. that explains why my sister instantly switched back to Edge.

She wondered why she is using Edge on her desktop (she has FF on her laptop but with home office she switched from laptop to a faster desktop)

Installed Firefox and it worked fine, until the new tabs wouldn’t load anything. Old tabs kept working but she tried to open picture in new tab.

Today I found Firefox in the recycle bin.

Well, that was a bad time to switch back.

Sorry Mozilla, she tried.

42. My Firefox Developer Edition (win, x64, 97.0b2) is still not working. Tried uninstalling, reinstalling, switching profiles. Regular Firefox works, Nightly works. Went with Nightly to be able to use my old profile.

43. Yeah, just go to about:config and tweak this setting. How could your dumb users not know about that? How are they not following each and every bug and its workaround on a public forum? How dare they?

44. Hey attackers everywhere did you hear the news? Replicate this one bug and render every firefox browser in the entire world inoperable. Amazing… /s

45. Hey, maybe the thread that got locked in favor of this one should have had a link to here in the notification as to why it had been locked? Just a notion.