Google just forced desktop users to switch over to their stupid mobile app Lens in the right-click context menu, after the same release came with a UAF vulnerability in V8 for 2.5 billion devices.

Lens is trash. I just wanted to test it out, so I used Image Search and Lens on the same image, and Lens came back with "No results found for the selected area" and Image Search came back with "About 294 results (1,06 seconds)".

Is that the "new machine learning and AI capabilities" they're trying to get over people with?

There's no excuse. Just another example of how out-of-touch and half-baked the chrome devs are, they take a year to roll out broken software and deactivate what worked.

How long until they deactivate "*chrome://flags/#enable-lens-region-search*" like all the other chrome flag fixes? Knowing Google they're probably going to deactivate Image Search instead to eliminate competition with a better product.

38 thoughts on “Google Chrome update replaced ‘Search Google for Image’ with ‘Search Image with Google Lens’”

1. FYI, for anyone who still wants to use “Search Google for image” without monkeying with flags, the option is still there in incognito (likely because lens is tied into your Google account), so you can open the image in an incognito window/tab, then long/right click on it to search Google for the image.

2. Use Brave browser. They didn’t change it and won’t. It’s also webkit-based so you can still use Chrome extensions without all the shit. It’s 100x better and not bleeding edge tech or anything.

3. This is such a garbage change, it’s a completely different use case than what I’m interested in.

I use it extensively to search for images to see if someone has reposted a meme. Now I get googles stupid AI telling me what’s in the image. I’m uninterested in what’s IN the image I want to see where it’s been!

4. image search has been around for too long to be deactivated, and in my understanding / mental model it serves a different purpose.

\- Image search: *Find the look-alikes to this image*

\- Lens: *Identify items on this image*

5. this update is horrific. hopefully, people will just complain & it’ll return to something more usable. after all, google has made a BIG MISTAKE or two before. They pushed google+ on us for how many years? but then finally managed to get rid of it

6. Just add the ‘Search by Image’ extension to Chrome to add it back to the right click drop down menu.

â–ºhttps://Chrome.Google.com/webstore/detail/search-by-image/cnojnbdhbhnkbcieeekonklommdnndci

7. I came here just to bitch about Google Lens. I hate this thing for all of the reasons listed, in particular that it isn’t as good at finding images as a simple Google Images reverse search.

I may or may not overcome my laziness and turn it off. Surely I’ll want to go back to using Google Images with a right-click again.

8. Update: Google actually added a link “*Didn’t find what you were looking for? Retry with Google Images*” to Google Lens at the bottom of the search results. That just adds more to the assumption that the change is permanent.

You can disable Lens Search at: ‘*chrome://flags/#enable-lens-region-search*’, at least for now.

If you still want to use Google Lens without having it as the default, you have to go to: [*https://lens.google.com/search?p*](https://lens.google.com/search?p) and then upload or drag-and-drop the image.

The “*?p*” is important, since it’s technically a workaround and Lens isn’t otherwise available on desktop Chrome. Without it, Chrome will prompt you to download an app instead of using the online version.

9. Thank you for the flag. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Another day, another bullshit change. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google, Spotify, it’s like they’re actively working on trying to make us quit them.

10. i find lens is better. i image searched a pic showing how to make a clamato caesar trying to source it. lens came back showing that it was native to the site I found it on whereas google Image search came back saying that it was a picture of a Monkey gland LMAO.

(found out it was talking about a drink called a monkey gland. still, lens wins it did positively id the drink thought analyzing the text in the image. (i am concerned about security thought wouldn’t upload anything sensitive to lens)

11. Actually they already removed for some devices, like mine, where the option to deal with it has “not available on your platform”

12. Don’t blame the devs, blame upper management.

The devs are just doing their job, management are the guys that decide what their job is.

13. The problem is Lens is that it’s a monetized version of Image search. It will try to search for products inside an image instead of searching for the image itself. It’s so annoying.

14. Apparently the flag solution doesn’t work anymore, at least on Android. A while ago I switched it back to Search Google for Image but after recently updating the app it reverted back to Lens and the flag is unavailable to my device.

15. Create many searches. Reply that the result is incorrect. In the feedback tell them exactly what you think. Rinse. Repeat with a different picture.

16. They even removed the search with Google Images at the bottom of lens results. Lens is seriously just trash for my use case and it’s so frustrating. Why did they replace something that has worked for years with something that has a completely different use case.

17. > How long until they deactivate “chrome://flags/#enable-lens-region-search”

That would be about now. 3 months later.

18. Google lens never finds the picture I’m trying to reverse search and then gives me the option to do Google image search after lens has failed. Its an extra step for no reason.

Is there an extension that adds image search on the right click menu instead of lens?