Has anyone done any digging around Twitch’s Rails code?

Around 125 gigs of Twitch's code, git history, internal tools/SDKs, etc seem to have been leaked a few days ago (confirmed by their team). As a large chunk of their web infrastructure is built with Rails I'm curious if anyone here has done any digging around the code and found anything interesting.

8 thoughts on “Has anyone done any digging around Twitch’s Rails code?”

1. Be careful looking through code leaks, especially if you work in any industry that is potentially a competitor. The last thing you want is to create a reason for an employer to think that code you’re writing for the company might become a legal liability down the road by reproducing or incorporating someone else’s proprietary work.

2. Any time I’ve dug around leaked source code I’ve always been like, “Yup, that seems about as I’d imagine” so rarely do it anymore. I only want to read a whole giant service to deeply understand it if someone is paying me a decent wage to do so.

About the only observation I make sometimes is who has relatively cleaner code, and who has layers of things that pretty-obviously need to be refactored or are too-clever for little benefit.

I’d hazard a guess that there were a few glaring security bugs in it, since they were hacked just after it was released. They could have been as simple as someone finding libraries that hadn’t been patched however, and otherwise the application code could have been sound.

All code has vulnerabilities. Yours does too, so don’t gloat. This could easily be you tomorrow. It’s best instead to consider systems to mitigate things like this, instead of just thinking your system is flawless.

3. i personally wouldn’t look at something procured illegally, or leaked, without the explicit permission of the owners. it’s kinda like dealing with fenced goods. others may see differently. my two cents.

4. Didn’t it switch to Go recently? That’s what I heard.

I downloaded the repo and gave it a cursory scan and there were no Gemfiles containing `rails` to be found 🙁

5. Took a bit of a look. Looks like the core framework is rails and they have tons of GO doing what you would normally have background ruby/rails doing.

Not very surprising, GO is going to be the ‘easiest/fastest’ in terms of pulling of random background tasks or general compute.

While rails is super extensive and long maintained core framework.

If there was a GO framework for web that was as developed as Rails, im sure they would be on that, but i dont believe their is.

6. > … is built with Rails I’m curious if anyone here has done any digging around the code and found anything interesting.

Nothing to see here. We all know what a 10-year-old Rails codebase looks like…