[https://www.docker.com/blog/updating-product-subscriptions/](https://www.docker.com/blog/updating-product-subscriptions/)

>Specifically, small businesses (fewer than 250 employees AND less than $10 million in revenue) may continue to use Docker Desktop with Docker Personal for free. The use of Docker Desktop in large businesses, however, requires a Pro, Team, or Business paid subscription, starting at $5 per user per month.

26 thoughts on “Docker to start charging for Docker Desktop in companies with over 250 people or $10M revenue”

1. Does anyone actually use any of the features in Docker Desktop? I basically never touch it’s GUI at all and just do everything via the CLI, I only have Docker Desktop installed because I’m too lazy to install docker any other way.

I have to wonder what percentage of users actually give a shit about their supposed added value, and how many will just move on to something else.

Or maybe I’m the odd one here, and you’re all using it loads.

2. Important to note:

> While the effective date of these terms is August 31, 2021, there is a grace period until January 31, 2022

3. Err … the only reason I installed “Docker Desktop” is because it was the only way (I knew of) to install Docker on macOS.

The only thing this is going to do is branch out new ways to install Docker on Mac (and Windows?).

4. Obviously free is preferable, but my company **easily** gets way more than $5/month of value out of me having Docker on my Mac. We’re still under the size threshold but when the time comes, I don’t think there’ll be much pushback when we tell management to start paying for this. (We also pay for IntelliJ IDEA licenses and other development tools.)

5. Not trying to start the next holy war but checkout https://podman.io/. It’s getting closer to feature parity with docker. It has its struggles but it’s free and open source. I personally use both but thinking about switching fully to podman instead of docker for Mac.

6. Anyone knows what‘s going to happen With Docker Enterprise (Windows)? I almost always use that on Windows Server and even 10 for Windows containers.

7. What a great way to garner bad will with all of the enterprises using Docker Desktop – missing the forest for the trees here. You really want to get as much adoption as possible, not irritate your enterprise customers by making them pay, admittedly a small amount, for what was once free.

8. Docker is in trouble. They have no revenue stream. They originally were hoping to have desktop as a free product for people to develop on then deploy on their paid enterprise product but they sold off that business since it wasn’t doing well. Now they don’t have a solid plan to make money.

9. That’s a bummer. I guess I’ll be removing it from my desktop. I’m in a large business but a casual user. This will open the market up for competition I guess.

10. I still don’t get why docker is still so popular. I switched to podman for my workloads long time ago and never looked back. Even kubernetes distros like openshift (best imho) don’t use docker.

Not to mention that their non commercial version is buggy as hell anyway.

11. Looks like it’s not only docker destktop, got in email that “All of Docker’s products and services are now covered by a new set of terms ” – – the Docker Subscription Service Agreement.