Been using Firefox since it was called Netscape Navigator. After Chrome launched and Firefox started trying to change the browser to look and feel like chrome I've been fighting with every update to try and keep Firefox feeling like OG firefox, but it's a battle I'm not winning.

Every time Chrome removes or ruins a feature firefox does it too in the next couple updates. Every time Chrome introduces some invasive nonsense nobody asked for Firefox follows. IF I WANTED CHROME I WOULD BE USING IT.

Yeah, I've used Seamonkey which is a much better browser than Firefox but has none of the extensions that I want to use.

35 thoughts on “Dear Firefox. Chrome sucks. Stop trying to be Chrome so badly. You used to be better than that. You can be again.”

1. I used Firefox for a long time, then had to switch to Slimjet as my PC really sucked. Now I have a new PC, switched back to Firefox, and I am shocked at how much it resembles Chrome now.

2. I don’t know about you guys but I recently changed to Firefox because I liked the new design lol and found that Firefox has better cross device tab syncing than chrome and edge. I also remember reading about the outrage of the opening image in a new tab button being added and not relating to it at all. It was a pain to open images in a new tab before they added that button.

3. I get this feeling that software developers have been trying to design software that can be used for different devices, i.e., not only desktops but also touch-screen tablets and smart phones, and because of that want to come up with a standard design and fewer options to avoid breaking other things.

How, then, does one develop a browser so customizable that it would make PC users happy, but can also be used devices with smaller, touch screens and make their users (sometimes, the same PC users) happy, and so on?

4. Meanwhile I keep seeing this on sites

Your web browser (FireFox) is not fully supported during the checkout process. We recommend using Chrome or Internet Explorer.

5. I mean, I haven’t feel Firefox as a Chrome copy, like when you just open it is really different than Chrome, and the only thing I’ve seen that is like Chrome is the web standards

6. If we ever wanted a chromium engine or chromium looks, I believe there are shit loads of forks of the chromium engine. From GC to ungoogled chromium, there’s a lot of options, we don’t need FF to be one of them. I believe it not to be, but this seems to be the direction that is being taken. I think this path is simply wrong and FF needs to fix its UI and not make it look more and more like chromium.

It’s not too late yet…

7. I love the new Proton design. Firefox looks A LOT better now. If Firefox could fix the address bar issue on Android I would use it on all my devices.

8. They just need to stop deleting features for no reason, fix more bugs(still a lot of 10 years old bugs not fixed), and bring the performance on par with chrome and it should be enough to gain back users.

9. Its not firefox fault. People tend to move to over chrome. Every firefox usre also uses chrome either forcefully (on android) or die to just for the sack of convinience just to get the task done.

10. The bit that grinds my gears the most is how Mozilla is chipping away at the actual customizability of Firefox just to chase Chrome. Years ago (pre-Quantum), you could change so much more about the UI, and now so much stuff is locked down to only a few elements you are approved to futz with. This kind of stuff annoys me, like someone else here said, if I wanted jail mode, I’d use Chrome.

11. This sub cares way too much about user interface and not nearly enough about what matters, i.e. privacy and security.

12. You can’t deny that chrome is better.
    Even Microsoft switch to Chromium for their Microsoft Edge browser.
    With current hardware, ram is not an issue anymore.
    That’s general opinions from users.
    For devs, firefox development tools are slow and buggy.
    Adblock is not an issue now with ublock and dns block like nextdns.
    Extensions ? Nah, chrome store is enough for your daily browsing.
    I don’t see any reason to use Firefox again for power users.
    I used Firefox from Firefox 3 but for the past 5 years, chrome is my main browser for both work and home.

13. AFAIK Netscape Navigator isn’t early Firefox. The first Firefox was made from Netscape’s source code, and it’s first release was called Mozilla 1.0 (Mozilla being a portmanteau of Mosaic Killer).

14. Firefox keeps crashing for me. And the deb file under debian seems to be corrupt.

Knee deep in apt corrupt hell with no obvious solutions. Glorious.

edit: apt autoremove seems to have helped things. Firefox is still broken tho.

15. Yeah, I can know your pain. And in fact, I would be ready to jump ship to edge as soon as possible if, among other things, I can somehow remove the focus rings that appears around most of the input fields (like the ones used on this very sub strangely enough even though it had a red border that’s already there).

16. I am a linux user with low end hardware and today i switched to chromium after using firefox for many years.The CPU usage is too high and the new ui design is very unappealing to me and i wish we had the old unique firefox back with complete themes etc.

I have to face it and use a browser which is friendlier to my old system and chromium is working better than firefox at this moment in time but in retrospect and considering my hardware is old this is not a diss on firefox but a simple observation of performance etc.

When i acquire a more contemporary computer then i shall visit firefox again but for now i am on vacation from mozillaville .

17. I agree. After I got the latest update, I don’t see the point of using Firefox anymore. I use Chrome on my phone anyway, so why not use it on my computer? I always liked Firefox for having a better interface, especially easy straightforward tools like “View Image”. Now I’ve been searching all over for how to get my taskbar to stay hidden in fullscreen. And I had to research prior to this how to downsize the taskbar because it’s become cluttered and bloated. This is BS.

18. It’s why I hate Android 10; trying to be so much like Apple’s software that it loses why people loved Android (and, in this case, Firefox).

19. Have it by default on my Ubuntu work laptop. Still use Brave because migrating data is more seamless from chrome in brave nightly. Not to mention, ubuntu’s brave and Vivaldi feel more compatible for some reason than Firefox. I can’t even call on Google meet using firefox. I wish Firefox would regain its lost glory

20. Yeah firefox went way downhill the moment they started using TEN seperate process to run the damn thing even if Ive only got one tab open. What happened to the good old days when firefox ran inside just one maybe two processes. Still better than chrome though, but not by much.