Compact mode should be officially supported in proton

With compact mode enabled the firefox toolbar takes less space then chromium toolbars while preserving the proton design.I honestly believe this will be the best way to please people who dislike proton ,since the toolbar size seems to be the biggest complaint.

31 thoughts on “Compact mode should be officially supported in proton”

1. I just enabled this after seeing your comment. Why exactly is this not supported?

I launched Firefox and for no reason it’s taking up extra space on top for no appreciable gain in usability.

Thanks for the tip in the right direction, and +1 for compact mode being supported.

2. Its not officially supported, but you can bring back compact mode.

Go to *about:config* and search for “compact. Change the “browser.compactmode.show” flag to TRUE. Then open up the customization menu and select compact mode.

3. I tried it, but I switched back to the old design anyway. I liked every design refresh since FF 3, but this one is really annoying, not just by looks but also by functionality.

4. The best thing to come of this debacle was my discovery of compact mode, which actually improves upon a lot of the issues that I’ve had with Firefox lately. Sure, I had to turn it on in about:config, but it puts FF more where it should be: in the background, utterly ignorable, as the vessel in which I peruse the internet.

I still don’t like the amount of animations, but discovering compact mode has really tamed my frustration. They’d better not immediately remove it.

5. Correction size and wasted space is just one of the issues with this ui, but with the removal of compact option it is the most hated part of it.

I don’t like the appearance of it either but at least that is easily fixed in css, but menus are still rather bloated in size and no longer even have any icons in them.
    And that part seems to be the harder part for css coders to fix, so as a temporary solution disabling proton in about:config seems to be the best, but sadly temporary solution for now.

6. Definitely.

And I mean this is separate from any other issue someone might have with the theme, or might not have, or like, or dislike.

**The issue was discoverability of the setting**! Was it made easier to discover? No. Is the setting still there, and still required to be used in some cases? Yes! (For Touch)

So why the **hell** was compact removed, instead of the **actual** issue of bad discoverability being worked on?
    Who said down and went “Oh yeah, and we need touch density, but compact, the opposite of that, yeah no one knows where to find that so lets drop it!”? And why did no one then raise the point that it’s the wrong solution to the correct problem?

Why is there no onboarding that explains UI customization as a whole, including a simple and quick selection of UI density, **including** some sensible defaults based on screen pixel amount (Compact on 1080p or less, Normal above that, Touch with a touch input device of course)?

7. Agreed. Compact mode is just amazing. Proton is sleek and modern and I don’t know why they opted for a bigger toolbar but anyway enabling compact mode is a lifesaver.

8. Mozilla needs to realize that vertical real estate is precious on widescreen monitors, especially for people who don’t have fat stacks (as the engineers do). Not everyone has high-density, high-resolution monitors!

9. This reminds me of gnome 3 and its devs. Make the toolbar huge and remove as much functions as possible. I bet using proton on gnome, like half the screen is dedicated to giant toolbars and giant buttons making getting work done a gigantic hassle and a hassle to get rid of the wasted space.

I don’t understand the rationale for the repeated changes of the UI every 2-3 years firefox does. I don’t think making users dread the unknowns of updates is a wise idea.

10. Looks like there has been a push for over 3 months to collect information on user preferences. But it is frustrated by compact being hidden by default. I like the proton redesign, but do also prefer a compact interface.

[Bug 1698171: Run an experiment to determine user preference for Normal vs Compact UI density in Proton](https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1698171)

However, this is way down on the priority list. Top 50 are listed here: [Firefox/Proton/Priority](https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Proton/Priority)

Hope it comes back officially supported.

11. This would be a start. I don’t quite get it why they also don’t just let people switch the tab style in options. It’s one damn option, for people who want a tab to look more like a tab in a filing cabinet and not a generic bootstrap button.

12. I disabled Proton altogether. Mozilla needs to learn that vertical real estate is precious. Firefox is supposed to be a background thing, and let webpages have as much space of the window as posible. I actually switched to firefox not only for the privacy and stuff, but because it gave more vertical real estate. Not everyone can afford to lose so much space. I had no issue except for the tabs. They’re so thick. I hate it

13. In my opinion, toggling the view mode should be one of the most discoverable features in the entire browser. I don’t think top-level on the hamburger menu would be inappropriate.

Increasing or decreasing UI density can make a huge usability difference for different users and on different screen sizes/resolutions. File managers get this right, letting you easily toggle between text views and thumbnail views.

14. Even with compact mode enabled, I still can’t seem to get rid of all the new whitespace between items in my Bookmarks menu. I have lots of bookmarks and the extra white space between each item makes fewer on the screen and have to keep scrolling down.

15. I agree. I’ve been using it for years. It’s still there on mine, but it says “unsupported” in parentheses.

16. There’s a lot of very bizarre thinking going on at Mozilla about Compact Mode. If you haven’t read the bugs here’s a summary:

Reason to [remove](https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1693028) Compact mode:

> The “Compact” density is a feature of the “Customize toolbar” view which is currently fairly hard to discover, and we assume gets low engagement. We want to make sure that we design defaults that suit most users and we’ll be retiring the compact mode for this reason.

However:

> For clarity we retain the “Touch” density for accessibility reasons on touch devices.

So, Touch density, which has the same level of discoverability can be kept!

The last comment which closed the bug says:

> So we’re going to ensure current users can retain compact mode if they already enjoy it. For other users they can find the feature behind a pref; to reveal it as an update in the density picker.

Great, Compact is staying!

Enter new [bug](https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1703254)

Essentially, we’ll keep compact mode but we’re going to make it even less discoverable so that no one will use it!