21 thoughts on “Tab groups is the worst thing to happen to humanity ever”

1. I don’t think the person who developed this actually made the design. This is proobably something Marketing drew up in a wireframe and gave it into a developer hands.

2. Which ‘genius’ are behind this terrible idea? Can’t they just preserve the old functionality rather than force the users to have the devs way?

I thought dev folks are supposed to be friendly or helpful this just seems very annoying. May be time to move away from Chrome?

3. On desktop tab groups are great and I would never have discovered them if not for all the constant first-world-problem complaints about them on reddit. On the mobile they’re … meh, whatever. I’ll trade your tab groups for this pandemic.

4. wait why? it’s pretty useful to me and you only have to do it if you want to? you can choose not to right? or am i missing something?

5. I really hope whatever freakin’ bell-end(s) came up with this whole tab groups thing was born sterile so they cannot contaminate the gene-pool with their stupidity

6. I swapped to firefox because of the tab thing on the bottom annoys me. It keeps showing up when I scroll up.

People at Google, please make it easy for us to disable stuff like this that clutters the screen.

7. People commenting here that they like Tab Grops either worked to develop it, or they didn’t even bother to understand that the OP speaks about Tab Groups on Mobile.
    While the Desktop version is good, on Mobile it has 0 usability. There is no way to choose where to open links, in new group or existing one. There is no way of finding a previously open tab. It’s better to just open it again from History than to search in all the shitty tabs.
    But most of all, there is no Why. Nobody actually spent 1h to think about why wold you implement Tab Groups on mobile. I would have thought of a hundred more useful features instead.
    I assume the PM who pushed this feature just thought of feature parity, in a day when they weren’t very creative.. just an easy and shitty way to prove that you’re working..

8. This post looks like irony, and I hope it is. I was never bothered by tab groups, but I am bothered by all these whining posts, irony or no, to the point I’m considering unsubbing from this subreddit.

9. Make the tab functionality completely useless on mobile, I don’t even try any more.

**** you Google for screwing up a perfectly reasonable ux scheme that was easy to use with this incomprehensible garbage

Glad to know it is not just me that this irritates the crap out of.

10. >I’m surprised the idiot who designed this has the mental capacity to operate the keyboard and program it in.

I’m surprised the idiot who wrote this has the mental capacity to operate the keyboard.

11. Actually, I love this feature, and when my chrom bugged and doesn’t show any group tabs, for real, I got fkn confused.

12. Brave browser — runs on Chromium, updated frequently — (under appearances in settings) still allows you to turn off tab groups.

13. 🙂

maybe better to complain straight out of chrome more (or as much) as on reddit !!
    From a google chrome product expert :

I would also like to recommend that if you don’t like the function, send your opinion to the Chrome team about what aspect you don’t like, or why you don’t like it:
    Report a bug or feedback on Chrome – Google Chrome Help
    It is very important that you do this, since these comments will be received directly by the Chrome team (they do not usually go through the forums in Spanish). Also, it is important because if this function is set to the stable version for everyone, the flag will eventually be removed, and there will be no way to disable the option.

And to do this : click on the vertical 3 dots, at the bottom “help and comments” or something, and throw your voice there ! (on your prefered tone 🙂 )

14. It’s so fucking annoying. I don’t leave 8848392 tabs open, so when I have only a few open I don’t need extra steps and smaller buttons to tap just to get back to where I want to be.

Make this optional so that people that don’t leave 1000 tabs open can use it, while those of us that hate it don’t need it.

15. They would be great if you could actually save the tab group. The idea that you have to “save it” and then make sure its recent while not restarting is the problem. They should be an evolution of bookmarks but right now they are not and just a waste of time.