Stop trying to force the tab grid layout on Mobile.

Its pretty apparent that very few like this change, and removing the workarounds is only making people angrier about it and causing them to switch to different mobile browsers. Learn when you've made a mistake, Google, and stop trying to force broken, unliked layouts on everyone.

20 thoughts on “Stop trying to force the tab grid layout on Mobile.”

1. Its so idiotic, i can tolarate grid tabs but not
    Group tabs.
    Group tabs is so fucking pointless and backwards instead of moving from one tab to another i have to open another group instead of just tapping on the one i need to use on the phone you only open about 1-9 tabs anymore than that and it gets too slow,yes horizontal and vertical layout made you scroll but there a district order of which you opened the tabs,the only reason i tolerate grid tabs is that it makes it can fit 6 tabs on screen.
    Tab groups though you have to tap one and again just to close and open the tab.
    There no point in the “orginization” because most people only open like 1-3 tabs.

2. This and the lack of a desktop mode default annoys me to no end. I have never found a mobile site that wasn’t worse than the desktop one.

3. is there a workaround this time? none of my flag changes are working…

what’s the next best mobile browser to chrome that has the option of not using tab groups? cause I’m getting sick of this.

Thanks!

4. I wouldn’t be seething with hatred for this layout, if I could just open a link in a new tab. Right now the only option is to “open in new tab in group”.

Every. Time. I want to open a new link, it’s creating these tab groups I don’t want. It’s a disorganized mess. Why aren’t there 3 options: open in new tab, open in incognito, open new tab in group. How hard would that be?

Does anyone know a fix for this specific problem? I managed to follow instructions to turn off some flag things before, but it stopped working.

5. I dunno if this helps but for the version 91.0.4472.77, you can go to chrome://flags then search ‘Tab Group Continuation’ then disable it. Then search ‘Tab Grid Layout’ then select ‘Enable New Tab tile’. This should fix it.

6. I am officially switching browsers as well if they don’t f ing fix this or let me use the flags to change it back. First they introduced this crap and I was able to disable it with a flag, and then they changed the Discover feed to some hot trash that has no manual refresh and is less accurate to my interests than the v1 discovery feed. And then they force this grid crap onto us after I’ve already demonstrated that I don’t want it? Sorry chrome but maybe I’ll give Edge a shot finally

7. So… alternate android browser suggestions that behave like chrome did before they fucked it up and have dark mode?

8. I hate these freaking shit tab groups so damn much. No matter how I change the chrome flags it’s just always in this shit group view.

9. I hate it. Am definitely going to use a different browser if I can’t disable the grid view. I agree that it’s infuriating that they removed the ability to disable this change.

10. I want to turn off the grid because it’s too small for my eyesight. The software is designed by youngsters with good eyesight, hence no good.

11. I liked the tab group thing, and my chrome just updated itself and removed the tab group feature with no way to re-enable it. I’m pissed.

12. I hate it i hate it i hate i HATE IT I HATE IT SO MUCH!!!! I don’t give a SHIT about what you think is “bEsT fOr mE” google, give me the F#%KING option of KEEPING WHICHEVER F#%KING LAYOUT I F#%KING WANT!!!

I am by no means and definition of the word, a rage-y person, but these F#%KS, make me want to chuck my phone full-force at the nearest wall, open up the app and piss on it!!

*I HATE IT*!!!

13. Only workaround I found was to go to the app store, “uninstall chrome”, which actually only uninstalla updates and relaunches a stock version. Gotta disable auto updates as well.

14. I ditched chrome on my phone for the first time over the grid. Fuck that. Left a 1 star review on play store, uninstalled and disabled. Good riddance