Can’t turn off Group Tabs

A couple of months ago, Chrome showed up with the Group Tabs feature. I turned it off via the Group Tab flag.

Today, Group Tabs reappeared. It was still disabled in the Group Tabs flag. I've switched between Default and Disabled and relaunched. I've restarted my phone. And I still have the Group Tabs.

Please tall me there's a way to turn off Group Tabs. Thanks.

40 thoughts on “Can’t turn off Group Tabs”

1. Did the same here, followed the same steps and no luck. Hopefully there’s a solution

Edit: Found this on

“Please test another possible solution. It’s about the flags again.

So: chrome: // flags and enter “grid layout” should appear:

1. Tab grid layout
    2. Tab groups
    3. Tab groups continuation
    4. Tab switcher on return
    5. GTS

And so set it to Disabled for 1,2,3,4 and Enabled for 5. Restart Chrome (or preferably restart the phone).”

After resetting my phone, it seems to have reverted back to the old vertical tab view . Hope this works for you.

2. Strangely I just re-enabled tab grid view and its gone back to the old cascade.

Seems to have got itself back front!

3. You also need to set the ‘Tab Groups’ flag to ‘Disabled’ and relaunch. Might need to relaunch twice. Once those 2 flags are disabled, it should go back to cascading.

4. Chrome://flags

Set it up like this

Temporarily unexpire m88 flags: enabled

Tab grid layout: disabled

Tab groups: disabled

Tab groups continuation: disabled

Tab switcher on return: disabled

Enable tab-to-GTS animation : disabled

**Update as of 5/26 Google has forced rolled out the tabs view, this workaround will no longer work**

RESTART PHONE

5. Thank you! I cant stabd this new “feature” its terrible
    Worst part is
    I updated my phone it came back
    Google chrome updates it comes back
    Dont they see all the posts on GOOGLE saying that people want to turn it off? Little ignorant id say

6. These solutions don’t appear to work in Chrome Beta, btw. m88 is not available and enabling m89 and m90 don’t solve the tab issues. I’ve switched back to standard Chrome for now, but it might be a sign of what’s to come.

7. I’ve been through every flag-suggested variation mentioned above and in other lists and help spaces, in Reddit and without. At first the various combinations worked for a time, several days. The time got shorter and shorter, finally shifting back to Grid, and the more awful Groups, many times a day. I tried diff combinations, yelled at the phone and the Chrome gods, and the last straw was when just touching the little square number (of open tabs) icon actually *became* the switch that turned the Grid BS back on.

I reread some of the Reddit suggestions and found the only thing that has actually worked for me…for almost a week, anyway. It’s not perfect, since it seems to slows down image downloads a bit, and may affect other elements I’m not aware of, but it has enabled normal tab loading and does not make me want to scream.

Do this: in Chrome – Go into Settings; scroll down in settings to Accessibility; Select “Simplified view for web pages”. That’s it. And it works.

8. I fucking hate grid view and it won’t disable now. If I can’t get this fixed I’m going to a different browser. This is horrible.

9. None of this worked for me. They removed the option to disable. Ya know…I’m just done haha. Im tired of forced updates that are so asinine it just breaks user interaction. I’m not only dropping Chrome, I’m switching to the dreaded IPhone and just using their browser.

10. Welp, they removed the tab group option, just the tab groups continuation remains. Great, now people are being forced to use that crappy tab group

11. Update September 17th, follow the following link and it shows how to fix the tab groups. I wish Google would get a clue and stop forcing shit changes.

I would also recommend also enabling the following flags for future proofing.

Temporarily unexpire m92 flags.

Temporarily unexpire m91 flags.

Original message for those still on older version of chrome.

For anyone looking for a new fix, disable the following in chrome://flags.

Tab grid layout.

Tab groups continuation.

Tab switcher on return.

Then these ones have to be done in the following order.

Temporarily unexpire m89 flags.

Temporarily unexpire m90 flags.

If one of them is missing do the one you can see
    Then relaunch the app with the relaunch button. Now you open the app details and force close chrome, and swipe the app away in the app history.
    Once you have done these things in that order, reopen the app and go to the flags again.

You should now be able to see the following flags (they are hidden until you disable the unexpire m89 and m90 flags).

Tab groups.

Tab groups ui improvements.

Disabled those, and again press relaunch, force close the app and swipe the app away in the app history.

Should now be able to open in new tab again. If it still doesn’t work try restarting your phone.

I am unsure if every flag here absolutely needs to be disabled, this is just what worked for me, and I won’t fix what ain’t broke.

12. So I tried the solution in the comments but this doesn’t work for me anymore… I also read that they launched a new update which makes it impossible to turn it off. Is this true? If it is, then I guess it is time to use a new browser because I will never use that shitty system, especially not if they force me to do so.

13. I’m dropping Chrome because of this. They keep pushing tab groups when it’s the worst thing they ever did to Chrome.
    Chrome is now junkware.

14. This is like Microtwits keep changing Windows layout and making it harder and harder to find the settings that were once right there in old versions of Windows.

15. EVERYONE REVOLT – GO TO PLAY STORE, PUT ONE STAR ON THE CHROME APP, TELL THEM THE TAB GROUPING SUCKS AND YOU ARE UNINSTALLING CHROME UNTIL IT’S BACK TO NORMAL (WHETHER YOU UNINSTALL OR NOT IS NOT THE POINT. JUST FLOOD THEM WITH NEGATIVE REVIEWS AND COMMENTS).

16. Simple solution that still works:

*Edit*: First you need to enable at least one app (you trust of course.. For example 1Password) to have accessibility access.

Then go to Chrome> settings-> accessibility -> enable “simplified view for open tabs”.
    The groups will be gone.

Upside: simple list of tabs without left / right layout.
    Possible downside: the previews are gone, too (but l don’t need / want them anyway).

Enable this

To get this look

17. Try

Tab Grid Layout: Enabled without auto group

and relaunch chrome twice.

Then when you press and hold the links, “Open in new tab” option will appear under the “Open in new tab in group”.

18. Tried everything. All methods listed here and online no longer work. 100% sure I’ll be getting an Apple phone this September, screw you Google and your forced “updates”

19. I had my last straw with this. Is there a preferred web browser one can switch to that’s similar to Chrome but doesn’t force their options on you?

20. **Android Google Chrome Tab Groups or Tab Grid Layout are Not Working**

**Because I tried to fix them but it didn’t work When are you going to Change the**

**Tabs.**