The project is here: [https://grepless.com](https://grepless.com)
Laravel/PHP packages I used:
- Media Embed from dereuromark: https://github.com/dereuromark/media-embed
- Intervention Image: http://image.intervention.io/
- Laravel Pagespeed from renatomarinho: https://github.com/renatomarinho/laravel-page-speed
- Image optimizer from Spatie: https://github.com/spatie/image-optimizer
- Nocaptcha from anhskohbo: https://github.com/anhskohbo/no-captcha
- Deeply from chriskonnertz: https://github.com/chriskonnertz/DeepLy
- Stop words from Voku: https://github.com/voku/stop-words
- SASS / CSS
This started about 2 years ago when I built a Dutch version. When it matured, I decided to make an English version.
The site has been online for 3 months now an the plan is to add more social and gamified aspects to the platform.
Aim of this project is:
- To strive for a cleaner web by filtering out the clutter, clickbait and sensation media.
- To Avoid circlejerks and 1-sided debates
- Make the whole process of engaging on news and other media a more satisfying experience.
- Make communities further customizable by their owners (Currently there is a sidepanel for a picture and community text, and the ability to add a custom background)
- Implement more moderation tools for community owners (Community owners can now edit and delete content in their community)
- Implement levels per community so people can build a reputation within a certain field. Currently users have a site-wide level.
- Elastic search
- More statistics and leaderboards
I'm also looking for passionate people who want to help develop the site and admin the main communities such as 'news', 'clips', 'videos', 'pictures',... the link to apply for this can be found in the side panel of the community page.
Would love to hear any feedback/critic/suggestions/... Devil's advocates also welcome!
Also please join the Discord server if you would like to talk: https://discord.gg/YBgAaMY
Or Slack: https://join.slack.com/t/grepless/shared_invite/enQtOTQzOTc1MzU0NzY5LTFkYzVhOTcyM2VhODRlNDhmMDFkZDdjY2QxNDZiYmNiZTViNWJhNGQ3ZjYxNGNkNDA5YzcxMjA3NzUzMmI0ZDc
11 thoughts on “I made a Digg / Reddit hybrid with Laravel. It combines the community elements from Reddit and the leaderboards and clean feel that Digg used to have. Would like to make it open-source and also love to hear any feedback.”
Looks amazing, man. Would love to come back and contribute to this project once I get better in Laravel.
What’s the repository link?
If this is available on GitHub for contribution, I would love to make some!
When you register there needs to be a space between “account” and the username. It flashed quickly but I believe it said “We are creating you an accountleemcd56.”
Damn this is amazing!
I didn’t understand what the ‘stop words’ package does exactly.
RemindMe! 3 days
This is really awesome, good work!
It’s good, I think you should probably wrap the image links into some kind of interface, clicking to enlarge images and just getting the full image is probably how the internet SHOULD work, but it isn’t how it works right now.
RemindMe! 1 week
u/RemindMeBot! 5 days
I would like to join for this project
Will be nice if you can open source it