39 thoughts on “Removed the ability to mute tabs?”

1. Yeah, looks like they’ve removed it.

You can still mute individual tabs by right clicking on them and selecting “Mute Site”, but it’s an added step that shouldn’t be necessary.

2. Yeah… It’s yet another case of the dev team going “what if we made this thing unavailable because it was too processing-expensive, but pushed another OVERLY CONVOLUTED thing just because they are remotely similar?”

I’ll never get the Chrome devs thought process.

3. I would also like this functionality back. Use it to mute one streamer but watch another. It’s also faster to mute than* having to right click.

4. Seems ridiculous for me that companies remove useful stuff. The product and the managing group is so big they lose the grip on it. Don’t even know why it is good and how to improve it. All it takes is to observe and listen to the users…

5. its just one simple thing and google screws us all over us

removing this is a pain in the ass for users, its just a simple mute button for tabs that was properly working and chrome removes it

6. Came here to post this.

cmonBruh

Not only do the tabs look fucking odd as fuck, now I can’t mute tabs, cmonBruh, about to switch to opera.

7. Man I guess just Chrome just now autoupdated and kept trying to mute my tab, but nothing happened… Come here to find this. RIP mute tab will be missed T_T

8. Came here for the same thing. That small sound and mute icon no longer clickable; have to right click the tab and choose from context menu.

9. Hey Google!!! WTF!!! The mute tab functionality was perfect!!! Why The F**k Would You Mess With It??!!?? HOW MANY USERS WERE F***ING COMPLAINING????

10. okay, I tracked down why it was removed

[https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=752226](https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=752226)

>Forked from [ ~~bug 360372~~ ](https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=360372). Per UI leads, we are not shipping this. Chrome has a policy against longstanding flags (they either ship or die), so this flag should disappear.
    >The following revision refers to this bug: [https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src.git/+/479cc17585a64910853e9949b053499ecbeca9a5](https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src.git/+/479cc17585a64910853e9949b053499ecbeca9a5) commit [479cc17585a64910853e9949b053499ecbeca9a5](https://crrev.com/479cc17585a64910853e9949b053499ecbeca9a5) Author: Peter Kasting <[[email protected]](https://bugs.chromium.org/u/[email protected])\> Date: Fri Sep 28 22:34:37 2018 Remove –enable-tab-audio-muting Per UX leads, this is dead.

~~So it seems~~ [[email protected]~~](https://bugs.chromium.org/u/[email protected]/) ~~made the call to remove the flag because “It was available too long and wasn’t going to make it into the mainstream built of chrome”…….~~

It seems their UI lead refused to include this in the main build of chrome making this flag reach the max age it is allowed to have before being removed.

I would like to start a petition to their UI lead in which we (Politely!!!) request the inclusion of this flag in the main build….

How about sending this to [email protected]?

>Dear Peter,
    >I would like to petition the consideration of shipping the –enable-tab-audio-muting flag.
    >I am aware that you have a policy against long standing flags but this flag is so widely used that it should be considered for shipping in the main build.
    >I would like to request that you pass this petition on to your UI lead.
    >Kind regards,

11. BECAUSE AS USUAL OUR FUCKING PLANET IS BEING RUN BY GOD DAMN MONKEYS

\#letsgobacktokillingstupidpeopleforthebenefitofhumankind

12. I moved over to Firefox purely due to this feature, Firefox has the ability to mute per tab. Great browser.

Google obviously force removed this so people can’t mute their ads.

All they had to do is open up the ability to implement it through mods, but they won’t allow that. I remember when Google used to be a good company.

I hope Microsofts new edge browser will be able to do so as well, its about time Chrome starts losing its userbase.

13. I sent them an email, and this is the response give:

”Unfortunately for this argument, the flag was not widely used; we looked at the usage numbers before deciding not to ship the feature, and they were reasonably in line with other flags (a tiny fraction of a percent of users).

I would like to request that you pass this petition on to your UI lead.

The best way to make your voice heard on this one is to use the “Report an issue” feature in Chrome ‘s help menu.

I will be honest: I can’t imagine this flag returning. I can imagine us reversing course and building the functionality in by default, but probably not for another several years — long enough for the team to implement the various other fixes (e.g. media sessions) that were proposed in place of this functionality, and see if they’re sufficient.

However, if we were to reverse course, it would be because enough users made it clear why extension-based substitutes, along with the various other changes going into Chrome to reduce unwanted audio, were insufficient. So if you have clear use cases that other routes don’t satisfy, please do share them via that feature I mentioned.

Best wishes,

PK”

14. mine just now updated and im having this issue, and im a bit pissed about it. and ive installed that etension ive seen posted here, but no idea how to make it work to mute certain tabs, not all of them/same site… am i that dumb to not figure this out?? haha idk why people gotta mess wiht shit when it fucking works!!! it aint broke, leave it alone!!

15. Peter Kasting replied to my email, and said that “the best way to make your voice heard on this one is to use the “Report an issue” feature in Chrome’s help menu.”

So, if you’re reading this, please do 🙂