Any way of getting the old tab visual style back?

As in the trapezoid shaped ones instead of the rounded appearance? I used to be able to change it back by doing the following:

>Simply go to the page for toggling Chrome's experimental features by entering chrome://flags into your address bar, and change the “UI Layout for the browser's top chrome” setting from “default” to “normal.” Once you click apply and restart the browser, Chrome's tabs and search bar will look the way they did before.

But that no longer seems to work since the "normal" option is now gone.

54 thoughts on “Any way of getting the old tab visual style back?”

1. I just opened my Chrome browser and found that it had changed back to the Material design (rounded) and I can’t change it back. I’m in the same boat as the Normal option along with a few others is now gone.

If they’re forcing this update without the option to go back to the old look, I’m just gonna stop using Chrome. The look of this new style is horrendous, if I wanted to use something that looks like Microsoft Edge, I’ll use Edge.

2. What the hell, it just happened to me right now.
    I didn’t updated to the latest version or changed anything, it did automatically.
    I just closed the browser and reopened again (i forgot to do something), and the old UI was gone(as well for the normal setting in flags)
    Simply ridiculous…

3. I cant stand this rounded look either, I’m planning to switch to a different browser if they’re not gonna allow the old style, however I love chrome sync, is there any alternative?

4. I want the version 70.0.3538.110, but every link on another post (reddit/google), i don’t trust it. Has someone downloaded the original version (70.0.3538.110) from Google and have the file to send it?

5. This is fucking bullshit.

The tabs are just too fucking big and the search bar pops out when I click on it.

This combined with the android 8.1 update fucking up all my icons and the quick settings bar, I’m furious with google.

6. I’m not going to tell you which browser to use, or that any of you are wrong for being upset over the UI changes. I will you that your browser becomes severely less secure if you downgrade to a previous version.

Be completely aware that by downgrading to pre-71, you’re opening yourself up to 43 (now public) vulnerabilities, and exploits that were latched in the v71 release.

7. Yea, the “Normal” option seems to be entirely gone and there’s no option anywhere that looks like it sets it back.

I rolled it back to Chrome 69 for now. Someone will eventually find a workaround to get Chrome to look normal again and I can just wait until then to upgrade.

8. Why do they force everything on the internet be made to look like it was supposed to be viewed on tablets? This change is block-y, ugly, & downright inefficient.

The absolute state of internet in 2018 jesus christ

9. terrible change. I have removed google chrome and would suggest anyone else who is unhappy with the lack of ability to remove this awful new ui to do the same, I changed from ie to firefox and from firefox to chrome, back to firefox now. rip chrome

10. Are we all talking about the same issue here? I’m getting the rounded tabs, which actually don’t bother me that much. But what also happened when Chrome auto-updated to 71 was that the tab bar, along with all background tabs, turned dark grey. The active tab is still the usual light color, but the rest of the top chrome is dark grey (with white text on the inactive tabs). That’s what’s really bugging me.

11. Browser alternative: CentBrowser. You will have the exact same look you had before after playing with some settings. The “normal” option is there and dev said he would try to keep it. After 10 years of using Chrome it was hard to change but this makes it easy.

12. Just adding to the dislike. Just came into work this morning and it’s reverted and the option is gone; and on a work domain so I can’t just go use another browser or dl a fork or anything. We’re approved for Chrome and (shutters) IE/Edge. Not cool man. They’re breaking their own philosophy; points 1, 2, 4, 6 and 10 at least. Anyways BOOOOOOOO!!!

13. So, basically the only chance to get back the good old layout is wait for someone able to rebuild it as a theme?

Good grief, until this update i was so happy with old style… Crap!

14. NO, they will force this SHIT TOUCH MOBILE GIANT UGLY style on your face, cant disable…Uninstalling Chrome, i’m going to firefox!

BYE BYE GOOGLE CHROME!

With Firefox I manage to get half of the space of chrome topbar

15. After having used Chrome since 2010 and never turning back, I think it’s time I moved on to Firefox. What a sad day. Great job, Google.

16. The problem for me is when I go back to the old version my account sync is paused every time when I close Google Chrome and idk what to do

17. I liken these types of UI changes happening in the background to parking your car & going into a store only to come out a few minutes later to find your car a different color or shape. I understand that updates/changes are part of the development cycle and they need something to sell people on the new versions of software, but there is such a thing as a perfect interface that I don’t ever want to see change. It’s a testament to how good chrome was. I hope they give us a way to change it back, or maybe there’s a way to use the latest chromium build with the old tabs…

18. I’d like to add, as no one seems to have mentioned it yet in this thread, that not only is it a visual style change, but it actually *breaks Chrome’s full-screen support on Mac.*

The old style used native Cocoa API to draw the top chrome in the browser, and this meant that they could (and did) implement something where the tab bar of the browser vanished in full screen mode, but you could put your cursor at the top of the screen, and the tabs and Omnibar would appear with the top bar, so you could switch tabs and the like.

The new design uses some “Views” thing they came up with, and it doesn’t have that feature. So, literally, your full screen browser window in Chrome now either has the top bar always visible or it doesn’t. **You can’t switch tabs, access the menus, or access the url bar in full screen mode on mac** when there’s no top bar. In order to do any of these things, you have to take the browser *out* of full screen mode! There’s a *menu item* to *always show* the top bar in full screen mode, which loses you lots of screen real estate (a value commodity on a 13-inch mac). Fuck this change.

19. A serious FU to Google. Google _SUCKS_.

Google makes 7.5 MILLION DOLLARS AN HOUR (IN PROFIT NOT REVENUE) and gets 25% OF ALL ADVERTISING REVENUE WORLDWIDE.

But they cant “afford” to keep an LTS/ESR going like other free/non-profit browsers.

Google is disgusting. Need to be regulated as a utility now more than ever.

20. I am so, so, so close to just swapping to Firefox, fuck this shit. They change the UI way too often, and with every change, it just gets worse. Jesus christ.

21. There’s no other choice other than to keep using the older version and make sure to block auto-updates(which i have no idea how to do). You should try switching to Chromium based browsers that use an alternate look. I’ve moved onto Opera, it looks much more in line with my aesthetic preferences. Angular and more compact windows.

One of the things that always kept me from using Firefox WAS this kind of giant tab design.

22. So annoyed by this, I don’t like the new “form over function” tablet style design wasting so much space and looking horrid at the same time >.>

23. Well, this crappy design ruin it totally. The old one was only reason to stay on Crome after all unpopular changes they made for a few last years.

So, fuck Chrome hello Vivaldi

24. Yeah, this is not good! What I don’t like is the lack of depth. I have grey title bars in windows and now that grey color covers over all the non highlighted tabs. I like their old material design too when things were sharper and less round and spacy.

25. It’s just happened to me so I used Chrome’s “report an issue” option to report it as broken, maybe someone will take pity…

26. See, I don’t even so much care about getting the old design back. I’ll gladly take ANY design over this one. I hate this modern, blocky, look so much. I haven’t liked designs like this even before they became popularized and I hate them just as much today. It’s too simplistic looking to me. If I can’t have the old design back, can I please just have any other design than this garbage looking ‘modern’ one? Modern UI design was the absolute biggest reason I never used Windows 8 back before we got 10 even. It’s one of the reasons I use Android over Apple. It’s why, minus exclusive titles obviously, I prefer PS4 over Xbox One. I hate blocky UI’s with a heated passion.

27. I am sad to say I have an unfortunate association with certain shapes and TERRIBLE HORRIBLE memories. Whenever I see these shapes I get nauseous. Unfortunately for me one of these shapes I get nauseous from is a rounded rectangle. Which you assholes Chrome designers have now FORCED down my throat. I was fine with it in September because I could just turn it off. But now you bastards want me to vomit, you want me to get damn migraines from 3 straight lines and 2 DAMN curves.

I’m not asking the whole world damn ban these shapes. I just want you to let me get rid of them, I LIKED google chrome! It was sleek minimalistic and it just had a lot of nice little things that were enjoyable to have in a browser. But if you guys want me to vomit on my keyboard or use firefox then guess who’s gonna fucking use firefox?

28. It’s not just ‘liking things the way they were’ it looks bad. How anyone in design came up with this is mental. The circle next to the square looks clumsy AF, while i’m at it nice to see fully circular webdesign being dragged out of the 90’s per the round omnibox too.

29. Hey everyone!

The solution here would be to use a broswer like Epic broswer or Iron SRWave .. These browsers are basically chrome stripped off its spying tools . They are based on chromium and on Epic privacy browser ..you still have that option to switch to old chrome ui . One downside is that Epic broswer by default always runs in incognito mode . But if you can get around that ..its a pretty smooth browser..