Heroku can’t recognize Gemfile.lock, evidently?

I'm at section 1.5 in the Hartl tutorial, working on cloud9. I'm trying to push my git over to Heroku. I enter the command, "get push heroku master",

Counting objects: 3141, done.
Delta compression using up to 8 threads.
Compressing objects: 100% (2157/2157), done.
Writing objects: 100% (3141/3141), 13.03 MiB | 116.00 KiB/s, done.
Total 3141 (delta 237), reused 0 (delta 0)
remote: Compressing source files... done.
remote: Building source:
remote: ! Push rejected, no Cedar-supported app detected
remote: HINT: This occurs when Heroku cannot detect the buildpack
remote: to use for this application automatically.
remote: See https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/buildpacks
remote: Verifying deploy....
remote: ! Push rejected to afternoon-eyrie-2439.
To https://git.heroku.com/afternoon-eyrie-2439.git
! [remote rejected] master -> master (pre-receive hook declined)
error: failed to push some refs to 'https://git.heroku.com/afternoon-eyrie-2439.git'


The last eight hours of googling suggest that some of this is Heroku being unable to recognize what language my git is, evidently not being able to find the Gemfile.lock. Even when I manually specify ruby as the language, it still doesn't work.

On a possibly separate note, GitHub isn't able to spot my README.md file, even though it's in the root directory of the project.

So I suspect this error is some kind of directory confusion between cloud9 and Git/Heroku. I've tried starting the tutorial from scratch, to no avail.

Has anyone else had this? Am I missing anything really obvious and stupid?

2 thoughts on “Heroku can’t recognize Gemfile.lock, evidently?”

  1. So, going forward, always google your error messages. I did a google search for you this time – I searched “Push rejected, no Cedar-supported app detected remote” and got a ton of results. Read over the stackoverflow questions and answers and see if any are applicable to you.


    First result: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8361475/heroku-push-rejected-no-cedar-supported-app-detected

  2. Okay, fixed it.

    Looks like I initialized the Git repo in the directory above my app, so regardless of where I was in the filesystem when I used the ‘git push heroku master’ command, it continued to keep trying to send the git. The one which contained no Gemfile, and was in fact just a big dumb folder that said “workspace”.

    Thanks, reddit.


Leave a Comment