I built Prelang, an automated tool to create Rails apps much, much faster

Hi /r/rails,

I'm the sole developer of **[Prelang](http://prelang.com)**, a tool to automate many aspects of Rails development and I'd like to share it with you. Prelang allows you to **inject Rails features into your app instantly and model your data visually** from a [web GUI](http://i.imgur.com/0uJhPf8.png). The result is a massive speed-up of initial development time.

You can check out the [demo video here](http://prelang.com/#demo) to watch Prelang build a full Rails app in 5 minutes.

There are similar tools like Rails App Composer, RailsBricks, etc. The main differences of Prelang are:

* App creation is done completely on the web
* Prelang pushes directly to your GitHub account making real commits to your app
* You can model your data visually (with relations and validated datatypes like URL, email, phone, etc.)
* It goes much deeper into feature customization

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be sure to get alpha invites out to anyone who wants to try it!

Thanks,

Erik

P.S., Please forgive the self-promotion 🙂

47 thoughts on “I built Prelang, an automated tool to create Rails apps much, much faster”

1. How specific is this all to rails? Could you create a gem this way? How about other languages? I know this is probably using some sort of rails templates so not very but I’ve been getting interested recently in auto generating user libraries for apis in various languages.

2. This looks pretty cool! I signed up 🙂

Are you thinking the code generated can be used for production or is this geared more towards prototyping? Generated code has always made me a bit nervous.

3. I have a company hackathon tomorrow, any way I can get an invite for a project we will be working on? I’ll give you a ton of feedback on it. I signed up for the beta, and can pm you my details.

4. Guys,

**I really, really appreciate all the support and feedback here.** Seriously.

I’ve gotten an incredible amount of alpha requests. I sent a few out but some ran into a pretty serious bug which I have now fixed. I’ll be sending more out soon but it may take a little longer than expected due to the sheer number of requests I’ve gotten.

I’ll do my best to match up reddit usernames with emails on the list to send yours out first.

I want to remind everyone that **Prelang is still in alpha** so there will be a issues but I’ve made myself very available for support so please get in touch!

And thank you, thank you!

Erik

5. Eagerly awaiting invite. I’m just about to start on a new project for a client, and it would be fun to use this as a starting point.

6. hey, when are you planing on rolling out further invites? i would really like to try this, it looks really awesome

7. Thanks just received the alpha and already tried it out. Great so far. A few features still missing that I would like to have, before I try it out on a real project. Can’t wait for you to finish them.

8. I got an invite but am leery about giving the app write access to my public Github repos. I’m not going to sign up for a Prelang account right now because of this.

9. Wow, that is really impressive. I submitted my email and hopefully I’ll be able to try it out soon. Best of luck!

10. Just found this and signed up for an invite. From what little research I can do without actually trying it, it looks amazing. Can’t wait to actually try it out.

11. Hey I started to setup another project using prelang and I like it a lot.

Unfortunately what is annoying is adding a bunch of attributes, the save feature in the background gets in the way. When I added an attribute and go to the next, sometimes it deletes the next one, when it reloads the page to tell me that it saved.

Also it would be nice to be able to enter the attributes not using the mouse at all. Like focus the datatype, select with typing, tab, enter the name, enter, and a new attribute is added and the focus sits on the datatype again. I hope you get what I mean.

Anyway, cool tool, and I look forward to new features and improvements. Thanks